Saturday, June 14, 2008

the Promise ...

Chris' Point of View:

There was a song released in the 80's by 'When in Rome' called The Promise. As its name implies, it talks about ones promise to make a relationship work, no matter what the cost. The song became particularly important to Natalie and I as we recognized the sacrifices we were having to make and how despite those sacrifices, our dedication and attachment far outweighed any negative consequence.



By the time March arrived, I had already decided that Natalie was the one. She was a puzzle piece that was missing from the box, and it took a chance meeting in Boston to replace it. I had already begun planning a Wedding proposal but had yet to decide on the day for that monumental moment. After a few weeks of planning an
d working with some of her friends in Vancouver, I decided to make her 23rd birthday one of her most memorable and ask her to marry me. We had planned to keep Natalie preoccupied with a scavenger hunt, with my own appearance as a grand finale.

The day started, and I contacted Natalie to wish her a happy birthday. At this point in the morning, completely unsuspecting, she sounded down, as she had 'nothing to look forward to'. I told her that I wished I could be there and jokingly said, "I tell you what hun, I will meet you in Vancouver tonight and take you to dinner." "Ok" she replied with a chuckle. I then got on the plane and made my way north, over the border. Upon arriving, jitters and all, I exited the airport enroute to keep my date with destiny. Dressed in dressy attire, I received glances and glares from those passing by, wondering what event was the cause, and strangely, why I wasn't wearing a jacket in the cold weather.

I stopped into the lodge at the top of the mountain and looked across the snow-covered slopes, waiting in anticipation. Finally, Natalie arrived, exited the Gondola, and made her way swiftly my way. Upon first glance, Natalie (without her contacts), failed to recognize me and gave me an awkward look. As her vision adjusted, her jaw dropped, shocked at the individual standing in front of her. She ran and wrapped her arms around me. "Punch me!" she exclaimed. Puzzled, I questioned, "Punch me? You mean pinch me right?" "No, no. Punch me." She smiled.


We then went to the restaurant located at the lodge. Next to a window, the cloudy view outside was surpassed by the beauty sitting adjacent to me across the table. My mind was racing, wondering at which moment to ask Natalie to take another step with me up relationship's ladder. In what seemed to be a clear indication of perfect timing, I looked to my left and saw that the previously cloudy city scrape had removed itself, revealing a breathtaking sunset in its absence. Haphazardly, I struggled to get out of my seat and onto my knee. While my brain, having reached critical mass, had shut down, I was able to utter a complete sentence.

"My life changed when I met you, and I will never know true happiness unless you are by my side. Will you marry me?"

Her answer may forever be a mystery to the reader ...

It was an amazing event. One that neither of us will forget. After the event, I thought about that song (The Promise) and the lyrics that were so fitting early in our relationship.

"And if I have to walk the world to make you fall for me, I promise you, I promise you I will ..."


In a very real sense, Natalie and I had walked the world to be together, and as this song had ended, new promises were being made with world travels done side by side.



nat's point of view :

a life changing day, not because i was another year older, but a day that i will always look back and think to myself - how did i get so lucky?

my day started out early, as i switched my shift in the morning, so that i could go on the scavenger hunt that my friends - shelley and renuka, have prepared for me. little did i know, they were secretly working w/ chris, and along helping him w/ a chiefly plan.

vancouver's city traffic is not as bad, but when it comes to rush hours, sometimes people can really swear like a sailor. after work, renuka and i attacked the hunt like a mad cave man. i just wanted to get them all done so i can go home and rest. as i'm not a big fan of 1st gear-stop-1st gear-go, the bumper to bumper speed has gotten on my nerves and i could feel the temper w/in me heating up.


by the time i finished my 2nd last task, and somehow we ended up at the foot of the grouse mountain. confused, i opened my last envelope and it requested me to take the gondola up to the top of the mountain - alone. ... ... ummm? no, thank you. the letter said i've to go up to the mountain top alone, and there's a dinner set waiting for me. w/ no acknowledgement that chris was up there, i refused to take the ride and wish i could do something else for the last task. the fact my friends are so sweet that they had brought me dinner, but the picture of me eating alone on my birthday is just ... unbearable. =S

renuka fought all her might to put me on the gondola; uncomfortable, confused, out of place. i'm not sure what am i going to do up there.

finally, i got to the top of the mountain, headed toward the restaurant - the observatory. i walked toward the glass doors, not near at hand, i saw this person standing at the doorway and was looking straight at my direction. i thought it must be some sort of assigned worker there to wait for their guest to arrive. the closer i got to the doors, the more toyed i felt, oh shell and renuka are going to get it from me when i see them. ... i swung the door open, and there he was, wearing a pink & red stripy tie w/ a salmon colour dress shirt, standing there, smirking at me while my jaw was hanging. ... =)

it honestly is the best birthday i've ever had! everything was such a surprise and i couldn't have it better! ... the dinner was absolutely amazing and we have had the view just to ourselves.

this wonderful unexpected occurrence, knocked me off my feet, the exultant joy w/in is indescribable. i have received alot of lovely presents, and the dearly gift of all, an affectionate fiancé.



you always love me more,

i hear it in your voice,
you're not afraid to tell me,
i guess we're at our best when we're miles away.

i begin to see the picture, it becomes so clear
you always have the biggest heart,
when we're six thousand miles apart.

too much of no sound
uncomfortable silence can be so loud
those three words are never enough
when its long distance love.

you always love me more,
i hear it in your voice,
you're not afraid to tell me,
i guess we're at our best when we're miles away.

1 comment: